Crown and bridge
What are dental crowns and bridge?
Crown is a permanent tooth shaped cap that put over a damaged or weak natural tooth to restore its shape, size, strength and function.
Bridge literally means bridging a gap created by one or more missing teeth. Dental bridge is made of a false tooth (called pontic) that held by the abutment teeth (the neighboring teeth) on either side of the gap.
Why do your teeth needs crown or bridge?
- Strengthening of the tooth that weakened due to decay
- Restoring a fractured or cracked tooth
- Restoring the alignment, shape or shade of a tooth
- Strengthening a tooth after root canal procedure for functionality
- Enhances your speak and chewing capacity
- Prevent the drifting out of the remaining teeth
- Helps to distribute the force of your bite
- Helps in keeping the shape of your jaw and face
- Restores your smile
Materials used for crowns and bridge
Crown and bridge can be made of different materials with different properties.
- Porcelain fused metal (PFM)
- Full ceramic
First Appointment: Consultation
At this appointment, our dentist in Smile Craft Dental Clinic will analyse the condition of your mouth in detail. X-ray is taken. The dentist will give you an overview of the procedure along with the cost. The primary impression will be taken as study model for dentist to mock up your case.
Second Appointment: Preparing the tooth/teeth
- Our dentist will shape the outer surface of the tooth so that a crown or bridge can be set in after local anaesthesia is given.
- Impression (mould) will be taken and send to dental technician for fabrication of the bridges/ crowns.
- A temporary crown is set with cement while waiting for the permanent crowns/bridges to be done.
- Getting the permanent crown or bridge can take between two and three weeks.
The Third Appointment: Fitting
- The dentist removes the temporary crown from the tooth.
- Permanent dental crown or the bridge is placed on the tooth/teeth for try in. Our dentist in Smile Craft Dental Clinic will check the fitting of crown/bridge. The crown/bridge is cemented permanently after both the dentist and you are satisfied with it.
- The dentist is likely to make few adjustments after checking your bite with your new crown or bridge.
Lifespan, risks of crown and bridges
The average lifespan of crown and bridges is around 10 – 15 years according to research.
However, with proper care, good oral hygiene (proper brushing and flossing), regular dental check ups, crown and bridge can last for decades to a lifetime.
Case 1: Patient had a fractured front tooth and adjacent teeth which is heavily restored . Zirconia bridge was made to replace the fractured tooth.
Case 2: Patient had fractured the filling on his front tooth multiple times in the past. Zirconia crown which has high strength and good aesthetics is made as a definitive solution.